Mount Avon Cemetery
Hours and Location of the Cemetery
Mount Avon Cemetery is open to visitors during the following hours:
- Spring/Summer (April 2 - October 30): 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Fall/Winter (October 31 - April 1): 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Map of Mount Avon Cemetery
Cemetery Clean Up Dates
***In accordance with Michigan's "Stay Home, Stay Safe" Executive Order (EO 2020-21), Mount Avon Cemetery has delayed the 2020 Spring Clean up until further notice***
An update will be posted here at rochestermi.org/mtavon when a new cleanup date is arranged. This means you DO NOT have to collect your items from the cemetery at this time, until further notice is given.
Spring clean up begins on April 1st of each year, and Fall clean up begins on November 1st of each year.
All personal items must be removed by these dates, including: pots, shepherd hooks, personal items, etc. City staff will remove everything from spaces beginning on these dates. The City will not be responsible for lost items.
Placement of Flowers and Other Personal Items at Cemetery
Based on Chapter 14, Sec 14-9(b) of the City Code, please refer to the following guidelines:
- In the 5th Addition, the placement of urns, vases, planters, and other various receptacles or objects that may interfere with the mowing of grass are prohibited.
- In Additions 1-4, and 6, where monuments are permitted, such receptacles as described above are permitted, so long as they are respectful, safe, and limited to one per grave. Tin cans, glass jars, etc. are not suitable for placement at the cemetery.
- The use of shepherd hooks with hanging baskets is permitted for any grave, but must be removed prior to the cleanup dates each year along with any other personal items.
Lot sales are restricted to residents of Rochester and Rochester Hills for their personal use or for use by members of their immediate families. Please note that the City no longer sells spaces in the monument sections Additions 1-4, and 6. The price for monument spaces is used for the calculation of the current value of such spaces for space transfers and the valuing of assets. Only flush marker spaces are currently available for purchase in the 5th Addition.
If you wish to purchase a space or lot at Mt Avon Cemetery, please contact the Clerk's Office at 248-651-9061, or if you wish to communicate via email, please contact Deputy City Clerk Jessica Wawrzynski at firstname.lastname@example.org. Appointments to make a purchase at the cemetery are generally available Monday-Friday between 8:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Lot Sale Brochure
For lot sales, opening/closing, and other fees, please view the Fee Schedule: Fee Schedule Effective May 2019
Requests to purchase spaces, to schedule a burial, and questions regarding the installation of markers should be directed to the City Clerk. To facilitate these requests you may use the following forms:
- Cemetery Space Transfer Form
- Cemetery Marker Installation Form
- Cemetery Marker and Monument Size Requirements
Contact the Clerk's Office at (248) 733-3700 for more information on burials and services.